7.23.2007

A Whole New World...

Wow. I don't even know where to start. After a never-ending road trip we arrived in Dease Lake on Saturday evening. We were almost forced to turned back about 60 KMs from Dease because the river had washed out a section of the road, but after driving for four days, and knowing a decent hotel would have been a six-hour drive in the opposite direction of where we wanted to be, David convinced the head road worker to let us go through. The section that was the "danger zone" was literally maybe a foot wider on either side than our car, and after we drove through and were on a safe patch of highway again, David looked at me and said, "that may have been a little stupid". Either way, we'd been in the car for four days with two very patient but overtired kids in the back seat, and we were finally on the home stretch.

As we were driving the stretch of highway between the washout and Dease Lake, I was really struck by the landscape. Instead of there being a forest there were all these really tall trees surrounded by shrubs. Now, listening to that description you would think "duh, Hannah, that's a forest". But it wasn't, and both David and I kept saying over and over "it's weird, because it's not a forest, it's just a bunch of trees". Needless to say, our conversational skills had definitely been dulled by the lack of sleep. Anyway, next time we go through I will actually stop and take some pictures so you all can see what I mean. These tall, green trees stood like sentinels against the backdrop of the mountains and lakes and blue, blue sky. It was also really bright outside and stayed really light until around 11:30 that night, which something else I will have to adjust to.

We finally got into the town of Dease around 9:30 in the evening, and let me tell you, nobody can ever prepare you for that first moment where you realize what life in a small town in Northern BC is really going to be. Oh, they can send you pictures and tell you over and over again that it's really small, there's nothing to do, etc. But, like having your first baby, nothing prepares you for that moment. Are we disappointed? No. It's exactly what everyone said it would be, in fact, some aspects are better than I expected. Do we want to turn and run screaming in the opposite direction? Truthfully, I am so sick of being in my car that it's enough to keep us here...for now:). No, in all seriousness, even though I feel like I'm stumbling around in a dark cave with earplugs and a blindfold on, I know there will come a day when I don't have to think through every single aspect of life. A day where this will be as much of a home to us as anywhere else we've ever laid our heads.

So, tomorrow is our move-in day. I am so excited to get settled in before I come down to Chilliwack and Portland so I know exactly what I need and what I can do without. They just finished the flooring and paint in our new home, which is for the most part rather nice. I can't wait to get our stuff in there and really make it our own for however long we are here. I have to say, though, that if I'm not careful my mind drifts back to our little cabin in the woods, with the sounds of our children and our friends' children laughing and playing, and I find myself wishing for something that is no longer mine. But I also know that because God is so good, and so faithful, and knows the desires of my heart, He will give me that moment again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, so now I'm reading your first comments about Dease and I'm having mixed emotions. On the one hand, I hesitatingly admit, my heart screams "get my baby out of there!". But on the other hand, my heart points out "look at that girl, all growed up and on her way". I know you are going to discover worlds within worlds up there. How are the kids and David doing?
Love Mom

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

Congratulations! You made it! I remember when we stepped off the plane in Osaka with only 3 of our 7 pieces of luggage and one 8-month-old and dragged ourselves to the van that Chikara's parents had borrowed for the occasion only to find that there were no seatbelts available to connect Emi's carseat to the car. I think disbelief would be the word to describe what I felt at the moment. I kept giving Chikara "the eye" like how could your parents be so stupid! We have a baby! How could there be no seatbelts! Every thought ended in a exclamation point.

But those feelings fade and now I can't believe that we've been her for six years. Where did that time go and how did I get used to our life here? I'm sure the same thing will happen to you and then you'll be sad to leave Dease Lake for your next destination, but I can't wait to hear about all the surprises inbetween!

Anonymous said...

yes, pictures...we want to see pictures. ah, life in a small town...at least they speak what passes for English.

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

Hannah - your public needs an update! And also a picture of your truck!