1.05.2008

Speaking of well-rounded...


Wow. That's a "Before" picture if I've ever seen one. I'm not a huge believer in New Year's resolutions, but seeing this picture on January 2nd has inspired something within me. Well, first I threw up in my mouth a little, but afterwards while brushing my teeth I thought to myself "I could probably do something about that". Then we watched Dr. Phil, and although I generally find him overbearing and self-righteous I genuinely enjoyed the episode. It was about New Year's resolutions (shocking!) and he gave a sort of checklist for people who seriously want to make a change in their lives. Besides something about willpower I don't actually remember what was on the checklist so I made my own, which I'll share with you in a minute. I also told Dave, which is great but also stinks because unlike that stereotypical, in-one-ear-and-out-the-other husband, he actually heard me and will actually hold me to it. Which will be awesome. Most of the time. Anyway, here's the list:


1. Keep a realistic food journal.

2. Always eat breakfast before walking out the door. This means getting up earlier.

3. Develop a realistic indoor exercise routine.

4. Decide to be okay with sweating, hurting, failing, and standing up again.

5. Tell everyone! Nothing like a little global accountability.

6. Ask for God's help every single day. He knows me best, He know what will trip me up, and only by His grace will I have any sort of followthrough.
My other brilliant idea, besides telling David, was to create some sort of "contract" that included a little motivation. So, here's the motivation: I have until April 28th to get to my goal weight. I will not buy any new clothes until April 28th (seriously). If I don't get to my goal weight by April 28th I will not buy any new clothes for myself until AUGUST (seriously). And in case any of you are wondering if the pink-eye has spread to my brain, we're only talking about 15 pounds. That's enough to be a challenge, but not too much considering our limited resources. Wish me lunch, I mean, luck!

4 comments:

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

Hannah, good luck with the New Year's resolutions (and I mean that in the really nice way, not the sarcastic way!). I've noticed that a lot of people are writing about their resolutions on their blogs and I realized that I can't even get around to making some. What does that tell you about my life right now? Maybe in March!

I still have my Taebo videos if you want them. We don't use them as much as we should. Or I just heard about Budokon (mix of yoga and martial arts).

Anonymous said...

let me know when you find something that works indoors. I'm interested in finding something that is about stretching. I think there is a Tai Chi program on TV. No clothes until April? I think you can do it. The way we do best with losing weight is some exercise every day - walking Maggie for me, golf for you-know-who -, protein shake with fruit for breakfast (I make it first and sip it while I'm getting ready, and if I'm not finished, I take it to work with me. Treat yourself and buy the new refrigerator cup in the business aids - it's awesome), granola bar or yogurt for coffee break, 2 cups Detox tea sometime during the day, and eating lower fat meals with lots of vegies and protein for lunch and dinner Mon-Fri. Weekends, we get to eat whatever we want. Everything I says keeping a food diary is the single most effective factor in losing weight, so your plan is awesome. www.gofigure8.com is a great online support system too. I gained 5 lbs in one week at your home, a tribute to your amazing cooking, my laid-back demeanor, and the power of Purdy's. You will do great with Coach Dave at your side for sure.
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

my first thought was - are there even any places for you to buy new clothes up there?

my second was - good for you, Hannah. i totally know what it's like to have one of those male "cheerleader" types.

hope you reach your goal!

Hannah said...

No, there is no place to buy new clothes up her, but there is the grand, glorious world of internet shopping. I'm uncomfortable with how comfortable I've gotten with give giving my MasterCard # out. I'm also alternately relieved and irritated that Baby Gap doesn't ship to Canada.

I wouldn't call David a "cheerleader" necessarily. He's more like a watchdog. Who never sleeps. And will not be pacified with steak.