5.03.2009

From one lousy good cook to another...

I would rather spend my time cooking than doing anything else, but I'm lousy at being a good cook. I share all of my secrets, I can eat an entire box of Kraft dinner by myself, and I recently have attempted to cut carbs out of my diet. See what I mean? Cooks that are good at being good chuckle when guests ask for a recipe, eat only great food, and would never, EVER in a million years dream about cutting carbs.
So in the spirit of being a crappy good cook, here's my new updated, slightly healthier version of chocolate chip cookies. You can still eat them with ice cream and chocolate sauce...I won't tell.
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 bag or 2 cups of chocolate chips
Bake at 350F for 10-13 minutes. You know how to put cookies together so I'm not going to give a play-by-play. However, here are some tips, which you probably already know as well but I'm going to write them down anyway.
1. Cream the butter for a good 5 minutes before adding the sugars.
2. Undercook the cookies ever so slightly, then let them cool on the sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack.
3. If you want to go even healthier, use lard or applesauce instead of butter, all whole-wheat flour instead of half-and-half, or all light brown sugar instead of using both white and brown. I haven't tried any of these yet, but I'm very curious to know how they'd turn out.
4. The cinnamon helps cover the taste of the flax seed. BTW, don't buy toasted flax seeds. I'm serious.
Good luck with the cookies, and if this is a recipe that you love share it with your friends in the spirit of being a lousy good cook.

No comments: